Prep Sport Round Up - Week of 6th November


Head to Flickr to see this week's Prep sports photos!

It was a busy week for the Prep School, with a number of sporting fixtures, tournaments and mini tours taking place.


U13B v Ardvreck (A) 1-1
The Girls hockey U13B team went to Ardvreck to play their A team on Wednesday. This is always a tough match, even when our A team play there, so the girls were happy to come away with a very hard fought 1-1 draw on their tight pitch. After a first half where we played very well but missed some good chances, we were behind 1-0 to a breakaway goal. After some good saves by Erin at the start of the second half, we gradually created some good opportunities at the other end, eventually scoring the equaliser through Kinvara.

U12C v ESMS (H) 3-1
The girls played fantastically well as a team today. It was brilliant to see them throwing all their energy into the game and working as a team by communicating well. Although it was quite a tough game at times they did not give up. The final score was 3-1. Well done on all of your efforts, girls! The results are really showing in your games.

U12D v ESMS (H) 1-2
The Under 12 D’s played Mary Erskine today, they put in a good performance, especially in the first half, with some good passing and individual skill. They levelled the score before half time with some great play however with a tough opposition the girls started to panic and let in another goal. Despite many chances to score the girls couldn’t make the most of their chances and went down to Mary Erskine 2-1. The girls need to work on staying calm and looking for the pass.


U11A v Ardvreck (H) 6-0
The U11A team had the final game before they headed off on their tour to York. Fettes started off well and created a number of early opportunities but came up against a very good Ardvreck GK who played an outstanding game. The deadlock was broken after six minutes when Issy A pounced on a slightly misguided defensive clearance and slotted the ball home. She quickly followed up her first goal with a very well taken first time shot following a brilliant cross from Megan D. Selena H controlled the game well from midfield and scored a great strike from the top of the D. Chelsea L scored the final goal of the half after some good running from Tess H and a good pass from Zoe C. The second half was a tight affair and Ardvreck defended well and again their GK was on hand to make some great saves. It took until half way through the half before Izzy A scored her third of the game. Chloe M scored the sixth and final goal of the game after a lovely bit of play between Nicole and Selena. A strong performance and a good result that should prepare them well for their York tour.

U9A v Ardvreck (A) 0-7
The U9A team had an extremely tough match. The away team were much stronger and despite a brave effort by our girls, we were not able to put up an effective opposition. The final score was a disappointing 7-0 win to Ardvrek.

U9B v Ardvreck (A) 1-0
The U9B’s played a more fairly matched side. They produced some pleasing hockey to win their match 1-0. Well done especially to Lina for scoring a super goal!



1st XV v Ardvreck 7s (A)
A very excited 1st 7s squad headed to Ardvreck on Sunday morning. It was a great day for 7s! The sun was out and there was not much wind. Fettes’ first game was against St. Mary’s. A very closely contested match brought about Fettes winning by a try 10-7. During this game, Fettes obtained a freak injury. One of our substitutes, Felix, bared the brunt of a tackled player into touch. The player hit his leg hard and unfortunately Felix’s tournament was over before it had even started! Felix is ok and the injury turned out to be just a bruise but he was very unlucky indeed! Fettes’ next game was against Austin Friars in which Fettes won while playing some magical 7s rugby 24-0. Unfortunately, the team obtained another injury. This time, Zachary just strained his knee a little. He was ok but his tournament was unfortunately over too as it was too risky to keep playing. The boys were down to eight men now and had to rally hard as their next game was against a strong Belhaven side. Fettes scored first after some brilliant lead up play and then turning defence into attack. The conversion was missed. During the next play, Fettes had a great break down to the touchline but was tackled into touch before the try line. This was Brodie who unfortunately stayed down. The medics were by his side and confirmed that Brodie was out of the tournament too with a shoulder injury. Brodie is ok now and recovering well. Fettes were down to 7 men and knew they had a fight on their hands. Courageously, they scored next but missed the conversion. Belhaven responded with 2 tries and both were converted meaning the final score was 14-10. A very brave performance but the team knew they could be even better. Next up was Strathallan and the boys chalked up another win through a very solid performance indeed 42-0. Fettes were through to the semi-final of the cup and were playing Merchiston. After a good food and water break the boys were raring to go. Merchiston scored first through a gaping hole in Fettes’ defensive line. This had to be fixed! The boys were fatigued and Merchiston scored 2 more fairly quickly. The boys rallied after half time and scored 2 converted tries through brilliant defence and passing. Game on – Merchiston unfortunately got another converted try before Fettes scored last to bring the game to an agonising loss of 24-21. A seriously brave performance but the boys will learn and can’t wait to get going against Ardvreck again on Wednesday in a full 13 aside match. Huge congratulations to Belhaven Hill for winning the tournament. Next job lads!


1st XV v Ardvreck (H) 24-32
This was an extremely competitive match played in wintery condition, with ultimately the better team on the day winning. The Fettes team started brightly with an early try for William, before a quick response by the visitors. Unfortunately, some sloppy defending allowed the Ardvreck team in for a further two tries before half time. The team rallied well in the second half showing a great improvement in defence and their willingness to work in the breakdown, however despite a hat trick for William, we had left ourselves with too much work to do. Well done to Ardvreck for their victory, a big couple of weeks coming up in order to regain momentum for the boys.

4th XV v Clifton Hall (A) 3-15
The 4ths Rugby team enjoyed a really challenging match against Cliftonhall this afternoon. Despite a strong opposition the team kept their heads and managed to score three tries in the 2nd half. Being only our 2nd match of the season there was a lot to be positive about as well as plenty of development points coming out of the game. Many thanks to Cliftonhall for the opportunity to play a match and especially to the referee for sympathetic refereeing which helped the flow of the game.

U11A v Ardvreck (A) 5-3
Two well-matched team fought it out in a thrilling game up at Ardvreck. Fettes started well giving themselves a 2-0 lead but Ardvreck fought back to level it 2-2 by half time. Fettes just managed to keep their noses in front from then on and two break away ties in the last few minutes resulted in the 5-3 finish. Seth J and Jake M lead the attack with some destructive line breaks but it was the collective team defence which was the marginal difference between the two teams.


U11A at Cargilfield 7s (A)
After the disappointment of the Loreto 7s, the U11s were looking forward to making amends at Cargilfield. A quick warm up was followed immediately by our match against Merchiston. Despite trying hard, we struggled against their organisation and use of the pitch. Jake M’s fine try meant the score was 1-2 with a few minutes left and, despite coming close, we conceded another try at the end to lose 1-3. Our next game was against Cargilfield B. A much-changed side started well, with Archie F coming close and we defended stoutly. Our fitness told and we scored three tries in the second half to win 3-0. This meant that we were in a must-win game against Belhaven with the winners going to the semi-final. We dominated form start to finish with a fine performance and a 3-0 win against the defending champions meant we had a semi-final against St Mary’s. Having lost to St Mary’s already (and seen them easily defeat Cargilfield A), the boys were nervous. We did, however, start strongly with Jake M scoring a wonderful try. The rest of the match seesawed and Fettes defended incredibly well- all boys tackling as if their lives depended on it, with Jamie B outstanding. A 1-0 win meant we were in the final. After a long break, we started against Cargilfield, with a vociferous and vocal home support. The match seesawed, but Jake’s try gave us a lead. The tide seemed to have turned when they scored a very good try but, in the fashion of the team, we came back and almost scored as the clock ticked down. Extra time meant a “golden try” game, and a wonderful passage of passing and interplay freed Finlay G on the wing and he made no mistake with the try. The boys should be rightly proud of how they played and conducted themselves throughout the day. Well done!


U11A Tour to York (A)
Twelve excited young men travelled from Edinburgh to York on Friday 10th November by train. Their first match on tour was against St Olave’s in the centre of York. For many, this was the first time they had been on a rugby tour and were raring to go! After a delightful walk through the streets of York and past York Minster, they arrived at St Olave’s, got changed and were out on the pitch warming up. As the English and Scottish rugby rules and this age group differ somewhat, Fettes had
to adapt quickly. It was tough for them having not practised skills such as targeting the ball in contact and not having two passes after a restart. They battled incredibly hard but eventually went down by 4 tries to nil. They showed tremendous heart and spirit but need more of an understanding of where the space is and how to get the ball there – it will come! After a hearty match tea hosted by our friendly hosts, St Olave’s, the boys headed to the hotel outside of York, got settled and organised. Our trusty driver, Steve then took us into York for our Ghost tour! A walk around the streets of York again was tremendous fun with shopping being a big part of it! The ghost tour was brilliant and the boys enjoyed hearing about Guy Fawkes and where he went to school! Very interesting indeed and I am sure the boys will remember that story for a long time! Back to the hotel we went. The boys had a little fitness session outside the hotel before some games in the hotel dining room. After a great evening of entertainment and working hard as a group, the boys hit the hay and conked out, looking forward to Saturday! A skills session outside the hotel before breakfast woke the team up and minds started to focus on Terrington Hall – our second and final game of our wee tour. After a hearty breakfast, the U11s headed off in the minibus to Terrington Hall – a beautiful prep school in the Yorkshire moors surrounded by stunning scenery! A good warm up focused the minds before a minutes silence to remember the heroes of battles past and present was a poignant moment of the tour. Both teams stood side by side on the halfway line which brought about a powerful message that showed how fortunate we all are but also that we always MUST remember these men and women who fought for our country. If it wasn’t for these people, we would not be in the magical surroundings like the U11s experienced on Saturday. The game kicked off and Terrington quickly gained the upper hand scoring 2 quick tries. Sandy replied with a very well taken try. Terrington then scored again through some sloppy one on one tackling. Finlay scored the next with some super pace around the outside. Terrington scored one just before half time. The message at half time was move the ball wide and keep hold of the ball. The 2nd half brought more energy and Seth scored an outstanding individual try down the middle of the pitch to bring it to within one try. Terrington scored next. The belief was there and Archie then scored a cracker with some wonderful footwork. Max wanted to get in on the action and scored a well taken try in the corner to bring it to 5 tries all with 5 minutes remaining! A nervy few minutes brought about 2 tries for Terrington and finally Archie finished the match with his second try of the day. Terrington won the match 7 tries to 6 but what spirit by the Fettes team to come back. There is a lot to work on with this group of players but what they have in bucket loads is belief which is incredibly important! The understanding will come – the team are moving forwards in the right direction and there is a lot to be excited about. Another match tea and a big thank you to Terrington Hall for hosting Fettes. Long may this relationship continue. A long trip back to Edinburgh was ahead. After a good train journey, the team arrived back at Fettes safe and sound and are already looking forward to playing Loretto on Wednesday. Well done boys.


U11B v Ardvreck (A) 5-8
Almost as if still asleep after the coach journey to Crieff, the U11Bs started the match against Ardvreck in a dozy fashion and we were 3-0 in the first few minutes, with passes going astray and tackling non-existent. Thankfully, this woke us up and we managed to start to play better and pass the ball to our runners. Arthur W and Samuel J were particularly elusive and fast, each scoring twice. Despite some brave play, particularly from James R, we were never able to recover from our poor start in a samba-like rugby game, with defence playing second fiddle to attack as the teams traded tries frequently. Less Harlem Globetrotters next week, with more of a focus on tackling and supporting the runners when they have the ball.

U9A v Merchiston, St Mary's and Ardvreck (A)
The U9 A Rugby side had a rewarding afternoon at Merchiston. In a quadrangular gathering, our first game saw a fine win by ten tries to one with everybody except Olly scoring, but very often it had been his initial tackle that had set up the chance. Ardvreck were next up and we continued to impress with some free flowing passing and running to come out 9-0 winners. Our last match of the day was against St Mary’s and it was our second very physical contest with them this season. At half-time, despite having had more of the ball, we found ourselves 1-0 down but early in the second half Archie S found a space down the blind side to equalise and Archie F saw a gap up the middle to put us ahead. The remainder of the match saw both sides engaged in furious tackling and hard running, showing huge commitment from all those involved. With the last play of the game St Mary’s found some space and despite a great tackle from Freddie they managed to squeeze over in the corner to tie the game at 2-2. What a way to end the day, and great credit to all concerned.

U8 v Merchiston, St Mary's and Ardvreck (A)
On the 8th of October the U8 rugby team trooped off to Merchiston for a round robin game against Merchiston, Ardvreck and St.Marys. We started with Merchiston and through some speedy running from Felix and straight running from Finnian we edged ahead to win the match 7-8. Our second match was a bit harder with Ardvreck. The boys couldn’t manage to grab the oppositions flags and so the Ardvreck boys were able to get around us, even with some valiant attempts by Adam. Final score was 9-9. Our final match against St Marys was also very close, the boys worked well together and were becoming more aware of the space they could use. Rory did well to marshal his team and was equally supported by Cosmo and Louis. This ended with a draw 8-8. Overall it was a very good day of sport and it is good to see the boys working well together.



U12 v Edinburgh Academy (A) 3-3
A great game of football v EA brought about a 3-3 draw. An entertaining night and lots to be excited about for their next game against Merchiston.

U12 v Merchiston (H) 5-3
The U12 Boys football team had an 11 a side match v Merchiston on Monday night, on the Sutcliffe pitch. The boys played 20 minutes each way, with the huge pitch ensuring that this felt like a proper work-out. Fettes took a two goal lead, but were eventually pegged back, with the game locked at 3-3 with only a few minutes remaining. From there, Fettes created two opportunities, both of which were taken, to give them an excellent 5-3 win in a very well-contested match.

Return to news